Masks Return to QTS – May 18, 2022
QTS returns to masks being REQUIRED inside QTS buildings/buses and the Akalat during school events. Effective May 18, 2022; School Board Motion # 1590; Sent out to all parents & staff on autodialer and posted on School Social Media (evening May 17, 2022)
School Resumes on Monday, May 16, 2022
QTS will resume classes on Monday, May 16, 2022.
Follow the QN Health Chart for vaccinated : 10 days quarantine from first symptoms. Then a negative test and no symptoms allows for return to school/work.
QTS will be short handed all week with staff.
Masks strongly ENCOURAGED on buses.
Masks strongly ENCOURAGED inside the building.
Autodialer sent at 6 pm on Sunday, May 15th.
PLEASE wish your QTS Employee Appreciation. This coming week QTS is celebrating Staff Appreciation week
RESOURCES TO READ
School Closed May 11 – 15, 2022
Posted May 12, 2022 (9:43 am) UPDATE May 12, 2022 Announcements & Reminder from Quileute Health Department (QHC) Recommendations
- QTS closed as an agreement between QN Incident Commander, QTS Superintendent and QTS School Board Chair as a result of the number of STUDENT Covid Cases. Student and Staff Days will need to be made up at the end of the school year. See bullet below on calendars.
- Please be aware that QTS is no longer conducting contact tracing.
- When a staff member reports Covid positive to Superintendent the name is given to the QN Incident Commander. Staff member follows QN Flow Chart (see below). Reminder QTS does not have a school nurse so we encourage families to use the Clinic. Staff, please see more on internal Google Calendar…
- When a QTS student is reported as Covid positive the QTS Home Liaison enters the data into Qmlative (New Skyward) database and the data is only available to current teachers who have the student in class. The student name is given to the QN Incident Commander. Please follow the QHC Flow Chart (see next two bullets)
- Please read Update May 11, 2022: Quileute Community C19 Procedures..What to do? LINK
- Please read UPDATE: May 11, 2022: QHC Friendly Reminders for Covid LINK
- QTS Data as of Wednesday, May 11, 2022 @ /QTS (evening)
- 3 cases of Covid 19 among QTS Staff
- 11 cases of Covid 19 with students at Grades 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 8, 10, 11, 12
- Encourage all to get vaccinated and stay current on boosters (this is important). We are seeing that break through cases can and do occur. Contact the QN clinic for help.
- May 11th, QTS Custodial staff disinfected surfaces, door knobs, restrooms, buses and multi purpose room.
- QTS (all school activities included) is closed May 11-15. Healthy Staff choosing to enter the building may do so, please be prepared with a mask if you encounter others and social distance. Please secure and turn out the lights in the building when you leave.
- Reminder QTS has masks and test kits available to all (See Stephanie D, Andrea, Cody)
- Currently QTS is a mask choice environment.
- QTS will reopen on Monday, May 16, 2022. Normal bus runs will be in place and school starts as normal.
- Posted on the Google Staff Internal Calendar and School Web Page under Community – Public Events Calendar.
Posted May 10, 2022 (late evening) QTS will be closed on Wednesday through Friday, May 11th through May 13th, 2022 due to a covid 19 outbreak among students and staff. School will resume on Monday, May 16, 2022 at normal time. No school related activities are allowed at school or the Akalat due to the outbreak May 11-15th. I am so sorry the Pre-prom event at the Akalat has to be cancelled, I know students were excited to participate. All school offices and classrooms are closed for deep cleaning on Wednesday, May 12th. Staff who choose to access campus classrooms must have masks on and please only do so after the deep cleaning is completed on May 12th by the QTS cleaning crew. Reminder these three days will be added to the end of the school year calendar on June 17, 21, 22 (for students) and June 17, 21, 22, 23 (for staff). Reminder June 20 is a federal holiday for Juneteenth.
This decision was a joint decision of the QTS Superintendent, Quileute Nation Incident Commander and the School Board Chairperson on the late evening of May 10, 2022.
Mask Mandate lifted at QTS
April 19, 2022 The Quileute Tribal School Board passed a motion to lift the mask mandate. Masks are now a choice in the school buildings, buses and school events. (Posted at 6:42 am, April 20, 2022)
posted by Superintendent Decker
Covid UPDATE: March 22, 2022
QTS will continue with the mask mandate inside school buildings, (entering) school buses and the Akalat Gym (for QTS events only). The School Board will review their motion on April 19, 2022 or (at) their regularly scheduled monthly meeting.
PLEASE NOTE: The QN Health Clinic, QN Tribal Offices, and QN Store require masking to enter. The QN Tribal Council order gives choice to businesses on the Quileute Nation to make their own decisions on mask mandating. Click this LINK for the full order of the Quileute Nation.
Posted on School Web Page – March 22, 2022 @ 6:37 pm
Posted to School Social Media – March 23, 2022
Omicron Update: January 27, 2022
UPDATE: Dear QTS School Community, QTS continues to see attendance climb and the number of student covid cases that we are currently tracking is at one. Exposure is becoming less and we see data showing under 1-2 exposures. These are all great signs as we wrap up the week at QTS. As predicted we are seeing this Omicron variant “burn out” like the data from South Africa showed. We need to get our kids and families healthy that are still out on absences and ENCOURAGE all to get boosted, wear a correct mask properly and wash your hands. I continue to see poor behavior among young adults not masking up on the weekends, participating in events that put them at risk and spreading the variant to others, and failing to get boosted, This causes issues in the school in a number of areas. We are working to bring our bus route to Forks back next week. We will let you know more on the bus run on Monday, January 31, 2022. Be safe! Superintendent Mark J. Decker
Dear QTS Students, Parents and Staff;
Covid struck QTS transportation today. QTS as of today is experiencing staff shortages in transportation through at least January 31, 2022. QTS will remain open, but no bus service will occur to and from Forks, WA January 25 – January 31, 2022. Parents are more than welcome to transport your children to and from school as QTS will be open. QTS anticipates normal bus service to/from Forks restarting again on Tuesday, February 1, 2022. This impacts approximately 25 students who travel to and from Forks regularly to attend at QTS.
Our School Board and I know this is a major inconvenience for our Forks parents that creates additional challenges immediately. Forks students who are unable to attend QTS due to the lack of school transportation from Forks will be excused for the short time being of January 25-31. Recall that our LaPush parents have been dealing with no bus service for nearly one and half years of Covid. QTS encourages students in Grades 3-12 to check their Google Classroom according to their class schedule. Parents with Grade K-2 students need to connect with their teachers. The School Board and Superintendent will continue to monitor and may consider closing the school if conditions get worse. However, today, January 24, 2022, QTS saw its highest attendance of 66%, since January 6, 2022. QTS is beginning to see a trend of students returning and we are hopeful this trend continues.
If you have questions, please call QTS at (360) 374-2061.
Mark J. Decker
QTS School Board Motion #1537, January 24, 2022 (Special Meeting)
Posted on January 24, 2022 (6 pm) on QTS Web Page, Auto Dialer and Official Social Media Pages.
UPDATE: Covid – Omicron Thursday, January 20, 2022
January 20, 2022
Parent News! QTS wants our parents and students to know that QTS has reassessed attendance. We have decided to “flex” our student attendance procedures until this Omicron variant passes in order to support parents in making the safest choice for their children and family, who are dealing with Covid. We want our parents to know to please keep your children home if they are sick related to Covid, please follow the Quileute Tribal Health Flowchart LINK to guide you in your decision making. Your best resource is your medical provider and please remember the school does not employ a nurse and our staff are not medical professionals.
- IMPORTANT to guide your children in grades 3-12 to their teachers Google Classroom for school work. Students who are absent are expected to keep up with their Google Classroom work. We look forward to your safe return to the classroom.
- IMPORTANT for parents with children in Grades K-2 to contact the K-2 teachers directly for school work.
- IMPORTANT QTS received Covid Test kits and can do student and staff tests. Remember to order online your own home Covid Test Kits now available (https://www.covidtests.gov/)
- QTS Human Resources available to assist parents include Home Liaison Hailey Miller, Registrar/Receptionist Stephanie Doebbler, Administrative Assistant Cody LeClair, Counselor Karla Kiedrowski (School Staff Directory is on our web page)
- Parent Student Handbook: Located on the School Web Page: Students: Parent/Student Handbook: Attendance page 34 (LINK)
- Web Resources:
- School Staff Directory is on our web page
- Quileute Tribal Health Flowchart LINK (start on the right side purple box “Are a Contact”)
In conclusion, QTS will remain open for face to face learning, as long as our front line employees, bus drivers, cooks, para-educators, and teachers can remain healthy. Like the rest of America we are short handed. We are trying to differentiate for our employees health and safety, while remaining open for face to face learning as a school, so children continue the learning, albeit we may be low in attendance during January 2022. Last Tuesday, January 18, 2022 our QTS School Board met and discussed in length that we want our parents and kids to feel safe and yet we also expect students to be accessing their school work. The School Board agreed to “Stay The Course and Remain Open.”
UPDATE: The kindergarten classroom has been reopened as of Thursday, January 20th at 8:30 am for learning, due to an exposure issue for the whole class, teacher and paraeducator.
Superintendent Mark J. Decker
Note: This section on parent news is going out to parents on the autodialler asking parents to reference their email and school web page.
January 13, 2022 – Omicron UPDATE
Parent Communication on Attendance – January 12, 2022
- Home Liaison Hailey Miller
- Receptionist/Registrar Stephanie Doebbler
- Administrative Assistant Cody LeClair
Superintendent UPDATE for January 9, 2022
12181 La Push Rd
La Push, WA 98350
P: (360) 963-4100
F: (360) 963-4088